Lesson Plan 2: Water Contaminant Removal Methods
This lesson/activity will be used to establish knowledge of ways to remove contaminants from water. This content is important because students need to start determining methods of water treatment. They will need this insight also to start designing methods of cleaning up what is in the contaminated water.
Materials and Resources
New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards
- Standard 5.4: Nature and Process of Technology
- Standard 5.6: Chemistry
- Standard 5.10: Environmental Studies
- Standard 8.2: Technological Literacy
ITEA Standards for Technological Literacy
- Standards: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15
National Science Content Standards
- Unifying Concepts and Processes in Science
- Science as Inquiry
- Physical Science
- Life Science
- Science and Technology
- Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
Students will research methods of removing water contaminants and deliver an oral presentation to be videotaped and shared via YouTube or other video medium with the other schools. The consultants will deliver their presentations to the local utility company client. As each school reviews the efforts of other schools, they can do a compare and contrast analysis to reflect on their work. They will also be seeing the information over again and perhaps that will act as reinforcement.
- Deliver pretest
- Share instructions for activity
- Share participation rubric with students
- Use Letter as input to activity
- Use Presentation Preparation as an aid to activity
- Share presentation rubric with students
- Deliver post test
- Show video on Water Treatment by the Global Health and Education Foundation to summarize what has been learned and reinforce the need to know how to purify water.
- The pre/post test can be used as a pretest and post test.
- The rubric can be used to access student participation during the activity.
- The instructions can be used to explain the activity.
- The letter can be used to establish the need for the students' services.
- The presentation document can guide the students to prepare a good presentation.
- The presentation rubric can be used to assess the students individually during the presentation. One would be needed for each student.
- The video Water Treatment can be used to summarize the activities that took place prior.
Research - 2 days, Presentation Prep - 3, Presentation - 1
Students will be put into a role-playing situation to learn knowledge related to water contaminants removal methods. The activity requires them to complete tasks according to their designated role. Each student will be working to create a PowerPoint slide show for a utility company that hired them to educate them on contaminant removal.
Important Content: See pre/post test