Major disturbances in the ocean can give rise to a very large, unusual and potentially deadly type of wave - the tsunami!
What causes tsunamis? How dangerous are they? How can we predict when and where they will form? Who is most at risk from their effects? What defenses are there against them?
Tsunami Surge is a project for students in grades 6-12 that uses real-time data sources from the internet to help students answer these questions. They will be challenged to think critically and creatively in their efforts to understand, predict, and guard against this powerful force of nature.
By the end of this project, students will be able to:
- Describe what a tsunami is and what causes it
- Explain how tsunamis are different from regular waves in the ocean
- Determine where tsunamis are most likely to originate
- Create a plan for a tsunami warning system
- Explain how to prepare and protect an area that could be hit by a tsunami