- Discuss Lisa's participation in the June NECC presentation.
The three 6th grade teachers will work as a team to develop a project
to share then and on June 10th at the culmination Matrix event. Showed
them Mr. Harner's tessellations project (Elizabeth Matrix). They also
looked at individual work that Rick Harner did with his
students (from the website). Mary Carson’s tessellation project is
perfect for the Shapes and Designs unit in Connected Math. They just
received the manipulatives. Problem with wording of
Question for benchmarks. Roseann and colleen are on the benchmark
writing team for 6th grade math. Criticized for a bad problem; reworked
it. The belief is that teacher’s are best equipped to write test
questions. However they should be based on expert’s work (Footnote:
don’t reinvent, modify! Test writing is a skill – has to be clear and
- Went over Number town. They want VHS copies.
- Burgerama – using the abacus tool (applet) to line up the
fractions – see learning center activity.
- Fraction addition facts followed by Fraction track game –
Illuminations. Went very well. Roseann loves adding fractions!
- What to do for presentation? Something from shapes and
designs or Bits and pieces II (or I)?