Student Discussion Questions Worksheet
- What insight did the interactive activities give you regarding learning difficulties? ( Describe how you would feel if you experienced these difficulties when reading or when being instructed by your teacher.)
- What are some suggestions and intervention strategies that were given for reading difficulties? (List at least five.)
- How does research support phonemic awareness instruction? (Identify what skills are developed through phonemic awareness instruction and which children benefit from it.)
- Is there a relationship to suggestions and intervention strategies explored on the PBS website? (Identify which strategies you identified that are phonemic awareness based activities.)
- How does research support systematic and explicit phonics instruction? (List at least five findings that support inclusion of phonics instruction.)
- Is there a relationship between phonics instruction and children’s reading development? (List what reading and writing skills are supported through phonics instruction and which children benefit from it.)
Reflect on this experience: How has experiencing reading and attention difficulties increased your awareness of what children encounter when learning how to read? How can appropriate phonemic awareness instruction and phonics instruction give children a tool to use for reading? How can you as a teacher incorporate knowledge about phonemic awareness and phonics instruction into your teaching practices?