Time: In-class portion: approximately 50 minutes
Students should have access to computers with the statistical
software Minitab and Internet access
Prerequisites: Prior to completing this RWLO, the
student should have experience with and an understanding of:
- the process of hypothesis testing, including formulating
hypotheses and drawing conclusions
- the chi-square test statistic
- Minitab calculations
- basic Internet navigation
Implementation: It is recommended that Part One of this RWLO
be completed during class in groups of two or three
students. Part Two of this RWLO should be completed
individually by each student. The assignments for both Parts
One and Two can then be collected at the beginning of class in one
- Review the process of performing a hypothesis test, the properties of
contingency analysis and the chi-square test
statistic, and the basics of Minitab, as necessary.
- Assemble students into groups of two or three and
handout for Part One of the assignment.
- In their groups, students should follow the instructions
on the handout to access the data (from the Ohio
Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections website at
http://www.drc.state.oh.us/) and complete Part One of
- About 5-10 minutes prior to the end of class, distribute the
handout for Part
Two of the assignment.
- Read over the instructions and the requirements for Part
Two and answer any student questions.
- Students will complete Part Two of the assignment
individually for homework.
- Collect all student work (for Parts One and Two) at the
beginning of class in one week.