Time: Approximately 50 minutes
Handouts, pencil/pen, computer with Internet access, calculator or
Prerequisites: Students should be familiar with random
variables and probability distributions. It would be beneficial to
have worked with the binomial distribution.
Implementation: This RWLO can be used either as a
classroom exercise or as a homework activity. It can also be
extended into a project with additional data collection.
- Assign each student to a computer. Computers can be
shared if resources are limited.
- Provide a review of random variables and probability
- Provide an overview of a Poisson process.
- Explain/discuss a related
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- Discuss how in many practical situations, the rate of a
process is unknown and must be estimated based on observed
empirical data. For this assignment, data concerning website
usage will be gathered at
- Observe the
Recent Changes to establish a benchmark for the usage
rate per minute.
- Build the Poisson model based on this data.
- Complete the assignment.