Time: Approximately 50 minutes
Materials: Computer with Microsoft Excel, pencil, calculator, and student worksheet: EarthquakesPoisson.doc.
Prerequisites: Students should
- have a basic understanding of the Poisson distribution.
- be able to calculate the mean and standard deviation of a discrete distribution.
- have basic skills in using Microsoft Excel.
- be able to navigate the internet.
Implementation: This RWLO can be used either in the
classroom as an example to demonstrate the learning objectives, as an in-class activity to test student's comprehension, or provided as a homework assignment. If students work in groups, it is recommended that each student answer the questions.
- Do a brief review of the Poisson distribution from the previous lesson.
- Print and distribute the student handout EarthquakesPoisson.doc. Students should use the space provided to show their calculations and answers.